Saturday 1 October 2022

Amused to life

Song of the day:


This song has stuck with me for a long time. I was a teenager when I discovered my uncle's awesome rock CD collection, and this entire album mystified me.

I was into Pink Floyd (still am), so naturally I wanted to see what other tunes David Gilmour had put out, so I imported the "giant-eye-on-a-TV" (the album cover art) into iTunes and tried to make sense of the lyrics.

I think he has a pretty damn solid "argument" with this particular song.

the little ones sit by the TV screen

We're pretty much all little ones in front of Netflix etc. now, aren't we?

And then, the alien anthropologists 

Admitted they were still perplexedBut on eliminating every other reasonFor our sad demiseThey logged the only explanation leftThis species has amused itself to death

Man, this song/album came out in the early 90s...

Still, I don't think everything's hopeless. We're human beings, we're meant to play, and play and amuse are almost synonyms; not quite. But, like, can we slow down the capitalisistic/wanton consumption just a tad? Jeez.


No comments:

Post a Comment