Monday 24 October 2022

Constant improvement with the Y

I signed up for a YMCA membership last week. One of the best financial and physical decisions I've made this decade! It's money I'm investing into myself, my body, my mind. I get to play badminton, do yoga, and use the weight machines - and these are only the things I've done so far in the last two weeks. I get access to all the YCMA centres in Canada (I know because when I was in Halifax 11 years ago, I was still able to use the family membership!), and that feels like a safety net somehow.

Importantly, I get access to swimming pools, which although they're filled with chlorine (I'd much prefer salt because it's way healthier for the skin), allows me to ease back into spending time submerged underwater. I used to swim a lot as a kid, and I barely swam at all into adulthood. I really miss it.

I like to wander a lot in Toronto, and so the Y gives me a place to get my bearings if I don't feel like being at home. Now, building community post-Covid is important, and it's not going to be easy, but I might be able to make new friends with all these new activities that the Y offers me.

I ain't gay (I identify as genderqueer and I'm pretty straight), but I think you can guess what today's song of the day is gonna be. Here it is in all its glory:



No comments:

Post a Comment