Saturday 15 October 2022

Divine metal

I'll get right to the point: today's Song of the Day is by Iron Maiden.

It doesn't get more metal than Iron Maiden.

Every so often, if you find yourself near Lake Ontario during the summer, you might witness legions of metalheads wearing Iron Maiden t-shirts make a pilgrimage to Ontario Place for what (literally) sounds like a hell of a good time.

The masters of metal are still touring - in fact they were in town 4 days ago, at the biggest venue downtown (Scotiabank Arena).

I'm ashamed to say I've never actually been to a Maiden concert, but these days, ticket prices are just not at all in my budget. Still, I relish the metal concerts I have been to, as they are all amazing memories.

Without further ado, here's For The Greater Good Of God:


There are SO many good Iron Maiden songs, but I picked this one because I recently discovered it (even though it came out in 2006). It's one of their more recent songs, but I like it because it starts off nice and slow, with what I would call philosophical lyrical inquisition:

Are you a man of peaceOr a man of holy war?Too many sides to youDon't know which anymoreSo many full of lifeBut also filled with painDon't know just how manyWill live to breathe again
 
The song quickly picks up classic heavy metal guitar riffs and fast percussion.
 
I couldn't actually tell you what the song's about - maybe something to do with the Crusades? - but I feel like it's a decent representation of the Iron Maiden sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment