Sunday 23 October 2022

Illuminating lights shine brightly in the dark

I was a knife

in the gunfight

and I fought so madly

you were a wolf in the daylight

and you almost had me


Can a slave preach freedom?

Can a captive take hold of what they believe in?

-LIGHTS

---

Another one of those days where I wake up with a song in my head. I'm not surprised it's a LIGHTS song again. Last month, she came came out with a new album, PEP, and as is customary, I'm lagging behind because this song is from her previous album, Skin & Earth. I've only listened to one song from PEP, and I couldn't tell you what it was - only that I left a comment on the fresh YouTube video to remind myself that, well, I was there. I'll listen to all of it eventually.

I have some thoughts on this Song of the Day, though. Can you imagine being a knife in a gunfight? The only times where I've had the chance to feel like that is in my Counter-Strike games. So I guess I'm taking it pretty literally, this song, which by the way is called Almost Had Me.

Another interpretation that I take as my own (because, honestly, I don't know THAT much about LIGHTS, even though I've seen her twice in concert) is that the odds are stacked against you in society. Uh, more specifically, let's say you're fighting demons like pharmaceutical drugs (thankfully not my case anymore), well, you're a knife, because drugs are guns to your homeostasis. And the wolves that run the show use this leverage to keep power, control, and money.

What I love about LIGHTS is that her lyrics are always powerful. Doesn't matter what album, there are nuggets of wisdom hidden everywhere and always backed up by catchy electronica, or, if you're into acoustic, gentle guitar melodies that (usually) calm the soul.

Okay I'm getting kinda creative with just a short burst of the lyrics that I cited above, here's the Song of the Day:


No comments:

Post a Comment