Tuesday 6 February 2024

The K-Pop Rabbit Hole

Alright it's time to come clean.

I've fallen into the K-pop Rabbit Hole. When I stumbled upon a karaoke version of Fifty Fifty's Cupid, by a VTuber (full disclosure: I fell into the the VTuber rabbit hole first!) named Takanashi Kiara, it got stuck in my head. I still cannot believe how much time I spent watching V-Tubers on YouTube, but that's a story for another time... if I'm brave enough.

Anyway, here's the song. I think it's apt to share, now that it's February. I should note I feel the beginning of the song is extra-special to me because of the lyrics: 

A hopeless romantic all my life
Surrounded by couples all the time
I guess I should take it as a sign

 
Cupid is so dumb

I think this is just the beginning. After Le Sserafim collaborated with the Overwatch 2 team for a really unique in-game event, the k-pop vibes have lurked in the back of my brain, waiting to emerge. It helps that I kind of love South Korea: they have the best e-Sports scene in the world bar none, the people that I've met here in T.O. have been nothing but a pleasure to interact with (shout out to the LoL PC bang in Koreatown, and my old friend B-S Kim), and kimchi is probably in the 0.1% of the most nutritious foods on earth (and I crave it). Need I go on?

So yeah. K-pop is going into my music library. Anyone have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment