Monday 4 March 2019

Ant-artica

"When her kitchen had an ant invasion, she greased long stretches of twine with chicken fat and tied a bone to the end in her garden, leading the ants on a savory march outside — cruelty-free pest control." - Petula Dvorak, from the Washington Post

Thus begins my inspiration for this late-night blog post.
Really, all I have to say is that I need some major english writing help, because I'm stuck writing in the first person.

Okay, that's not really all I have to say.

I stumbled upon this article whilst digging deeper into the history of the house I've inhabited for almost 24 years of my life at this point. All I know so far is that arabs lived here before I did, and before that, it was italians. If I go back far enough, I can probably assume this land had been inhabited by some sort of First Nations - maybe the Haudenosaunee? I'm really not sure.

It's nice to acknowledge the past, and in the past, I've dealt with ant invasion. Except instead of doing like Mirka MiĊĦak in the aforementioned quote, I preferred to use a laissez-faire attitude whilst my mother Raided the shit out of the ants. Eventually, we switched to cloves to ward off the rodents.

Speaking of rodents, and more specifically rats, did you know that Alberta managed to entirely rid itself of the invasive Norway rat during the 50s all the way to the present? The details I am providing here are vague, but at this point I just want to finish this blog post and go to bed and wake up to yet another productive day. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment