Friday 27 January 2012

Emotional Empathy

So after searching for years online for a way to define myself as a being on this planet, I'm getting closer to figuring out who I am.

One thing that's just clicked is that, according to a prominent psychiatrist, I'm an emotional empath.
It's so true. I filled out this checklist, and I match all the signs.

If you know me, especially if you were in my Katimagroup, you might have noticed that at times, I sort of shut myself down, shut myself away from other people. Laura mode, a being (or other side of me) whom I haven't talked about for years. Well, I started off by letting her take control of me, which wasn't so bad, but it worried a lot of people.

And then I completely shunned her, and I think that was much worse, because I tend to end up in very bad places when I ignore her.

And now I'm accepting her again, though I haven't felt her presence (or her energy) too much recently, because I've been pretty happy. She'll sometimes make an appearance when someone is completely abusive toward me (e.g. yelling, ridiculing me etc.). And I'm glad I have her, because otherwise I might just completely break down and cry.

That's me - Gabriel, an emotional empath.
An emotional empath is someone who is "overly" sensitive, who absorbs the emotions of others. Someone who can listen and listen and keep absorbing others' angers or fears or regrets like a sponge.
That sponge is me. I used to turn to negative coping mechanisms, like overeating and over-smoking to get rid of all those absorbed emotions, but that led me down a very dark path indeed.

But see, being an emotional empath is a good thing if you can handle the "curse". Though I might have been called out for being too sensitive (and at times, even too arrogant), I've also been thanked numerous times for being able to listen - for being able to handle the outburst of energy, violent or otherwise, from another being in distress.

And this is why I might want to work as a shelter - probably as a volunteer, because getting paid for that kind of job seems kind of strange, even though it's almost essential in today's violent world.
And I'd have to be a volunteer, because to work at those places, you need a degree.

I never understand why certain occupations that people are naturally good at require degrees for employment.
Do I really need a piece of paper to tell others that I'm able to listen and be empathetic?

Karma Aspiration Langune Entité Iodinement Dérive Oisellerie Ulysse Guimauve Hurlement Salutaire Citronelle Ophilia Perspicace Ettore

No comments:

Post a Comment