Monday 19 June 2023

Song in the Head

I did a "Song of the Day" for a while on this blog, where I updated practically daily on a song I've listened to. I've stopped doing that because I'm not listening to as much music on the daily, but I still get songs stuck in my head from time to time.

Currently, I've got "Turn It On Again" by Genesis (with Phil Collins) stuck in my head and for good reason: it's catchy as hell and the lyrics are easy to belt out.

I was actually first introduced to this song without knowing what an iconic song it was when I discovered Dream Theater (a progressive metal band) as a teenager. They cover the very end of "Turn It On Again" in "The Big Medley" which is basically a 10+ minute metal cover mashup of popular rock songs. It's good, but the original is the one that's now stuck in my head.

I can't pretend to fully understand the social commentary behind the song, but there's something there for sure. Here it is if you wanna listen to it:

No comments:

Post a Comment