Friday 16 January 2009

Cold

Good evening madames et messieurs, this is my first blog post that I write from my new headquarters in Ste-Marie, Quebec.

Before I continue, I know many of you have been asking for a mailing address so that you can stop procrastination on those letters. Without further ado:

-Redacted-
Your deadline is March 20th, because that`s when I leave for my next rotation, which is, quite majestically, in Vancouver.

There`s also a phone number I can list, but we have a really cheap quality cord phone, which is conveniently located in the girl`s room. I don`t use the phone very much anyway. And besides, it`s really hard to get a hold of a Katimaparticipant, what with all the things we do.

So, first off, I gotta say, Ste-Marie is actually more exciting than Strathroy.
We don`t need to walk 25 minutes to get downtown, our house is pretty much there.
Of course, you know what I refer to when I say -downtown- in a 12,000 people city.

I live in a much smaller place than in Strathroy.
I say place, because it isn`t even a house, it`s in fact two apartments.

The bottom apartment is very small, it`s got a small kitchen, a little living room, a washroom, and two bedrooms, and I can get to any of those places within 2 seconds of each other.
The upstairs apartment is slightly bigger, with two bedrooms, a bigger bathroom, and a common space. Still very small.

To commute between these two apartments, one must go outside, climb the stairs, and go back inside.

Speaking of outside, do you know what the temperature these few days has been like?

I ought to inform you.

-30 without the wind chill factor.

Obviously, I came knowing that it would be very cold, but the cold, it`s...
You open your mouth, and you can almost bite into it, it is frigid.

My new project leader, Pascal, is very very cool. He is much better than our previous one. We have so many activities planned.

Tomorrow we`re going to the Musée des beaux arts, followed by a trip to the Québec Katimahouse.

Sunday there`s some swimming going down.

Next weekend we`re volunteering, along with seven other Katimagroups, at the Red Bull Crashed Ice! We`re gonna be right next to the action (we`re cleaning the mess up afterward) so tune into TSN or something and look for me (:

Oh, in case you didn`t know, the Red Bull thing is, of course, that giant ice-slide where these extreme badasses go down in packs of four at 70 mph on skates, trying to get to the finish line. Epic.

I work at La Municipalité de Ste-Marguerite.

I am very sad that I work there.

You see, I really wanted to work at Câble Axion, a local tv station. Everyone in my group thought it would be a perfect place for me to work. I thought so too. It was my number 1 choice. I didn`t get the work placement. I was really bummed out for a few days, it was depressing, and I still think it`s unfair, because the participant who got it only had the tv station as their 3rd choice.

So why didn`t I get my work placement?

Apparently, the work placements decide who works where, unlike Strathroy. It blows.

Ste-Marguerite isn`t bad, it`s half paperwork, half building a snowshow trail outside in the woods.

It`s just that the TV station would have been so perfect, I would have done some video editing, some reporting, some covering of press conferences etc...

Oh well.

I better damn well get my first work choice in Vancouver.

Other than that big deception, I`m still having a good time in Katimavik.

Oh, and at my work, between the hours of 8-9, 12-1, 4-5, I`m technically not at work, but rather at my supervisor`s house, because the building I work at is closed during those hours.

And I have nothing to do.

Free long distance calls though, and I get really bored.

-You- might get a call, if my boredom goes to an extreme, I might resort to a phone, out of loneliness.

Lots of things to talk about, but this blog is just too long, wouldn`t you say?

Karma Aspiration Linger Entity Iodine Darwin Overcast Ulysses Grievous Hawt Spectre Citron Ophilia Philharmonic Eyeless

No comments:

Post a Comment