Sunday 25 January 2009

Crashed Ice and Caffeine Cliffs

So on Friday and Saturday, my Katimagroup and six others (five of which were only there on Saturday) volunteered at the massive Red Bull Crashed Ice event in Québec City.

If you didn`t know, for the last few years, this event has been happening in Québec where they build a gargantuan slide of ice with twists, turns, bumps & jumps down which skate four competitors, trying to reach the finish line first.

On Friday, we were assigned to be security-ish people with official-looking uniforms going around to stop people climbing onto the slide. We then snow-shovelled the sidewalks. There were only about 20,000 people (because Friday is only the qualification rounds) , whereas on Saturday there were more than 80,000 people.

On Saturday, we got to see the finals (it was a bloody cold day...), and it was really friggin`cool. I managed to snag a spot really close to the slide, got to see the action right up front. Really exciting stuff. Hung out with a bunch of other Katimagroups too.

Then, when the event was over, oh god, it felt like we were in some sort of landfill. Beer cans/bottles, LOTS of Red Bull cans, and other various recyclables which we were assigned to pick up. It actually went surprisingly fast, with around 70 Katima-victims cleaning up Le Vieux-Québec, it only took about an hour to have bags and bags filled with stuff to recyle.

The hardest part was fending off all the drunkies who were somewhat hindering our tasks. There were a couple assholes who staggered up to us and threw their beer cans into the snow banks, laughing at us while we were cleaning up.

I`m not a violent person, as such, I didn`t feel the need to punch them in the face like so many other people would have. I contented myself with humbly passing by and ignoring them.

Being a massive Red Bull-sponsored event, free Red Bull cans all around.

Terrible, terrible idea for me.

I know I`m not supposed to ingest caffeine, but I kinda like the Red Bull taste, and it`s completely free, so I couldn`t help but take four Red Bulls. I also finished half a beer can before the ride home to Ste-Marie because I was so thirsty.

Definitely one of the stupidest choices I`ve done in Katimavik.

Hyper-ventilation, buzzing, vibrating eyesight etc.

And since I know you like to spy on my blog, K, thank you for that magic potion and that peanut-butter-bread-thing (it tasted awful, but er, that`s beside the point).

Didn`t get much sleep either.

Back to work tomorrow, oh joy.

Karma Aspiration Linger Entity Iodine Darwin Overcast Ulysses Grievous Hawt Spectre Citron Ophilia Philharmonic Eyeless

2 comments:

  1. All these false promises you make about caffeine...but you'll always come crawling back. Personally, I like the caffeine hit a hot cup of tea gives me. Much more pleasurable than Red Bull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish not concur on it. I over nice post. Specially the title attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

    ReplyDelete