Saturday 9 March 2024

Noncomprehensive list of things that (slightly) annoy me

Alternative title: some pet peeves and some really annoying shiz

Some are more niche than others. In a rather random order:

  • When my shoelaces are uneven
  • When I find a single sock after doing laundry
  • When I keep getting Doomfist (I'm so bad with him) in Mystery Heroes in Overwatch 2
  • People who are rude & toxic in Overwatch 2 (and other online games)
  • How difficult it is to cancel auto-renewal subscriptions
  • Cat dandruff getting stuck to my clothes
  • When iTunes decides to give an album in my library 5 gray stars out of nowhere
  • When a pen doesn't write well, but still writes so it's difficult to justify throwing it away
  • When someone walking toward me on the sidewalk doesn't walk on their right side (barring exceptions like snow, pushing a stroller etc.)
  • When I buy medical cannabis online and it has a package date more than 8 months old
  • Shrinkflation (when the price of a product stays the same or goes up, but the quantity diminishes)
  • Related to the above, skimpflation (when manufacturers cheap out on ingredients/components but the price doesn't go down)
  • When my phone gets sluggish for no reason except age i.e. planned obsolescence
  • When people at the grocery store leave their shopping cart in the middle of the aisle and obliviously create a traffic jam
  • When another department at work is understaffed and it causes me more stress
  • Loud pickleball noises, and pickleball courts that don't have enough space between the baseline and the wall
  • When people pronounce "badminton" as "badmitten"
  • When people meanly mock other folks' accents
  • When I accidentally take my anti-reflect instead of my anti-fog glasses to work
  • Mosquitoes and the rest of the pests (black flies, wasps etc.)
  • That sheet music isn't de facto free & freely shared
  • When my housemates leave their clothes in the washer/dryer on my laundry day
  • Dog walkers letting their dogs unleashed in a specifically designated on-leash zone
  • Dog walkers not picking up after their dog
  • Forgetting really interesting knowledge learned during university cram days
  • When I get a spot on a red seat on a bus, and someone just in front of me is taking up 2 blue (accessible) because of their backpack, and then someone who could really use a seat hops on
  • Candles that don't burn well
  • An otherwise quality product that doesn't need sugar that has sugar in the ingredient list (e.g. bacon)
  • When people assume I'm Québécois when I consider myself Torontonian first and foremost (this is the most slight of annoyances on this list as of March 12th because yeah, I get why)
  • Computer hardware that still works fine, but not well
  • Motorized leaf blowers

Edit March 12th: added some more to this list

These few are definitely not "slightly" annoying and veer more on the "dangerously" annoying:

  • Hackers stealing data from libraries
  • Vehicles with bad drivers: burning red lights; failing to stop at crosswalks; not using their turn signals etc. 
  • E-bike couriers (it's almost exclusively them!) being reckless around pedestrians on sidewalks; not using bike bells when overtaking; riding around in the dark at night without lights etc.
  • Annoyance is not really the right concept for this one, but marginalized people on the TTC having crises; travellers with a lack of respect for fellow human beings; downright violent, racist, misogynist etc. acts - you name it, I don't like seeing it on my commutes (or anywhere, obviously)
  • Malfunctioning hydraulics

I don't want to end on such a negative note, so I will say that I'm grateful that I can freely complain about this shit, and that I don't have to deal with, oh, I don't know, WAR or FAMINE or DISEASE. Toronto is pretty great despite what all these peeves make daily life seem like!

No comments:

Post a Comment