Tuesday 12 March 2024

A Paramore brief

For a self-described Paramore superfan, I sure don't write about them often or with great depth, often linking their music here and there but never doing a deep dive into why I love them so much. I say this... but if you've been here for a while, you might have caught one such deep dive a while back.

Okay enough gratuitous hotlinking to my previous posts to drive my page view count up to make me feel more popular than I really am *ahem* I mean, uh, just blame the limelight; don't look up just let them think there's no place else you'd rather be! Can you guess what Paramore song I'm listening to as I write these words? Anyway.

I wrote the following while listening to a run-through of After Laughter, their fifth album, yesterday:

There's always one particular, singular song that stands out to me on every Paramore album. The song that has just the perfect ratio of relatable lyrics to imagery; a nice chorus, melody, what have you; something that sounds just right to my ears. It's hard to call it my favourite of any given album, because my favourites do change in relation to my mood, but it does not tend to be the "objectively" best or most popular song on the album.

For example, on Self-Titled, that song would definitely be Still Into You, which is a great song with a really fun & popular music video.  But the song that makes the album for me is Proof.

On After Laughter, it's clearly Hard Times which is that pop song, but Pool is breathtakingly beautiful to my ears, to a point where I mean breathtaking in the literal sense.

So I wouldn't exactly call it a deep dive, but this blog post is strictly supposed to be about Paramore so instead of complaining about some writing technicality or finishing with yet another rant about loneliness, I'll leave you with something proper: here's Pool, by Paramore.

No comments:

Post a Comment