Saturday 8 October 2011

Hashtag

What. The. F.

Has anyone else noticed that it's now commonplace for Twitter users in real conversations with real people (i.e. not Twitter "conversations") to randomly blurt out "hashtag __insert noun/verb etc. here__"?

I'll admit, I'm not a Twitter user. Yes, I know how it works. No, I don't plan on being a Twitterer (tweeter?) anytime soon.
I did fine for a while without Facebook, but I'll admit that Facebook is useful for giving some semblance of organization in one's social life.
Twitter has its uses, but I don't want to open up yet another social media portal to get myself lost in. Simple.

So while it is quite true that internet references often find their way into casual conversations when you're with friends (WHAT 9000?!), I'm not sure I'd like my conversations with people degenerating into broken Twitter banter.

To give an example, I was meeting with some friends at a pub last night. I don't remember exactly what we were talking about, but it had something to do with obnoxious people. And surely enough, N yells out "hashtag obnoxious!", which is somewhat ironic. It was somewhat funny.
And somewhat unnerving.

Karma Aspiration Langune Entité Iodinement Dérive Oisellerie Ulysse Guimauve Hurlement Salutaire Citronelle Ophilia Perspicace Ettore

2 comments:

  1. lol to the irony of "#obnoxious" its like people going #hashtag to make fun of twitter on twitter via twitter. degenerate into fake internet banter or progress toward rake internet banter. banter per capita was probably much less prior to the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed completely!

    I feel it's just damaging to the brain when people parody with parodies using the very paradisaical methods that they're parodying.

    It gets WAY. TOO. CONFUSING.

    ReplyDelete