2024-10-01

Sad news sports day

ChatGPT consulted to confirm that the ensuing subject matter is more accurate than not (i.e. which teams did he play for?)

Yeah, it's a (sad) news day. Be careful with her. Be careful here. Death & not much to do with taxes up ahead. Death in the NBA, that is.

 So Dikembe Mutombo is dead - from x_x (something cancer).

It didn't hurt me all that much physically (because I was stoned when I learned the news, thankfully), but after having watched many games over the years, I can say that the sorrow doesn't just dissipate into nothingness, necessarily.

From what I remember, he was a darned good defender but, unfortunately, it might be possible that I'm confusing him with Hakeem Olajuwon, who is definitely more well known as a defender - right? Well, I just checked with the official sports websites and he is indeed a 7 footer so, yeah, probably a "defensive mountain".

Either way, the Dream Shake isn't Mutombo's signature move; according to some sports news websites, a wagging finger is. I wonder if sometimes, in places where the arenas were far too loud, a better move would have been a different signature move to record a win for the teams he played for: les Denver Nuggets, les Atlanta Hawks, les Los Angeles Lakers, les New Jersey Nets, les New York Knicks, et les Rockets de Houston (where a former Raptor (and legend, it has to be said) Fred VanFleet & some of his Fan Fleet has prolly relocated given the current economic climate up here).

It's sad to bring up economics, but like I've been saying for years, yelling at the clouds: it's the death of proper basketball in this city, and Mutombo being gone doesn't hurt any less when there are literal streetball nets being kidnapped on the daily by the upper class.

R.I.B. (Rest in basketball)


No comments: