Wednesday 30 November 2022

New work, new play

I didn't want my last post of November to be an overdone reference to a Guns n' Roses song, so here I am.

I started a new job yesterday. I'm not sure if I'll like it more or about the same as my last one. I should probably know this by now... but I don't think I'll be getting paid as much overall because the lunches are unpaid. But the advantage is that I can walk or bike to work: my commute, whatever I choose, is under a half hour. And I felt like time went pretty fast yesterday, though that might be because it was my first day.

I work at a grocery store. Not a chain, more like a mom & pop. It's not glamorous work, but I long ago decided that it doesn't matter what I do for work as long as I get paid. Okay, it's a little more complicated than that; obviously a bigger paycheck probably leads to a more comfortable or at least convenient life. And I cannot live in Toronto independently on a part-time income. But, it's a step in the right direction now that I've been out of school for a while and my last job was a couple months ago.

So that's a life update in there. Today's shift starts soon, so I can't blabber on forever here. I will say that, on a whim, I was inspired by a graphic novel/journal I borrowed from the library called Emitown. It's beautifully drawn, quirky, and it's like a slice-of-life snapshot of an up-and-coming comic artist living in Portland, OR circa 2009-2010 or so. Every single day during some months, Emi Lenox wrote about her life (and drew it, too) and it was really fascinating seeing life through that lens.

I don't think I could do anything remotely close to what she does. I mean, I don't draw, for starters, and also my life isn't nearly as exciting. I could write/blog every day, and I do with my gratitude journal, but I lead a relatively uneventful life. I play some amount of video games, and I like to cook.

Right, other news is that I got Monster Hunter: Rise for my Switch and that has been a lot of fun. The gameplay loop is addicting: you hunt monsters for parts to build better equipment to fight stronger monsters, and depending on your weapon (I picked longsword but there's over a dozen wildly different ones) there are combos to learn too. And in this version of Monster Hunter, there are tower defence-style scenarios, and I've always been partial to tower defence games.

Okay, I have to wrap things up. I'll try, once again, to post some photos (it would mostly be nature and food photos). It's just I'm not really satisfied with the photo quality on my 5-year old phone. So we'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment