Thursday 28 November 2019

L'action de merci

Happy (American) Thanksgiving!

I've been thinking about continuing with my gratitude journal.
I think that many people might argue that being thankful only once a year might not be conducive to being happy all the time.
Does it necessarily follow that being thankful every day of every year will lead to more happiness?
According to one robust source, it can.

A funny dilemma spurred this blog post. On the one hand, the above source mentions reduced materialism as a positive side effect of keeping a gratitude journal. On the other, I need to locate or buy a new gratitude journal to write in; this makes me wonder if I'm being materialistic by offloading my gratitude journal to my blog.

You and I might know that I promise things in writing that I don't often follow through on. If you look back at some of my posts, some of them ancient, some of them recent, you will have a hard time finding patterns. That's because I'm constantly reinventing myself, and I'm thankful that I have the time to pretty much compose whatever I want, whenever I want whilst my basic living expenses are paid for - for the most part - by my nuclear family.

Alors aujourd'hui, pour l'action de grâce américaine, je remercis les ainés dans ma vie, et j'exprime de la gratitude pour le fait que j'ai un emplacement quasi-sacré où je peux m'exprimer sans être attaqué par des gens que je ne connais pas.

Since I'm 99% canadian, it's difficult for me to speak about a holiday that I don't really relate to. So I will continue to write about my daily life, and in doing so, I hope you will be inspired to, mayhaps, take up writing as a hobby.





You can actually earn a living with writing, but only if you practice! An example from my own career path: data entry is always a valuable skill to have - especially if you know how to do it fast and/or well. I know this from experience: I was hired multiple times in my life to listen to people and to transliterate what they said to me into a format that the big honchos ultimately care about: real, honest data, and sometimes sales numbers, but mostly a connection to the client.

It comes down to trust. If the clients trust that you are not trying to do something like market garbage to their children or upsell them on things that they did not want, need, nor ask for, then it's a win-win situation for me, for my employer, and for the employer's established reputation.

I guess I'm writing about work because I miss being part of a client care team. But I have my limits: I know my values, I know my ethics (and sometimes I forget what those two words even mean), and when I hear about things I don't like, I tend to write about it - sometimes at the detriment of my income potential.

So, speaking of income... it's not easy for me right now, but I can, once again, be extremely thankful that I honestly get to eat the best food in the world. It's a double-edged sword, but I think I'm starting to wield it better. I've lost so much weight because I can afford to eat high-quality, nourishing foods, and although I feel lonely very often, I know I'm not the only one struggling to live in the most populated planet in the solar system. At least, I don't think we have a space colony on Mars yet.

Maybe I'll write about space next time, because I'm kind of sick of worrying about real estate when I consider that Earth & Gaia are the most real estates that I will know in this lifetime.

To end on a positive note: I'm working, now more than ever, on living my dream of being a card magician and duelist. Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu! can wait. ☺️


Inspiration musicale: Joe Dassin

No comments:

Post a Comment