Saturday 4 July 2015

Ode to Teens and Preteens

This is not my original work. This was written by Pruderick B., a real cool guy who was in my grade 7 homeroom. I found this poem in my yearbook and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Keep in mind this was written by a 12 year old.

Of course it's true
I want to be like the rest.
Buy saggy clothes and chains to look the best.

You don't know why you do it
Or maybe you do
Because I know that almost of you here do it, too.

Why not dress in suspenders like Steve Erkel did?
Why do people take away their personalities?
And conceal it with a lid?

We listen to music we don't even like
Just because the other people find it to be hype.
We're classified in groups by the things we wear
Japs, Ginos, Thugs and the Punks that shave their hair.

But, what if you're not in one? Where do you belong?
Is there something wrong with you, why can't you get along?

There's nothing wrong with you
you're being yourself
So let's be ourselves
And put our fake personality on a shelf

This may not be directed to you
But you know who you are
And people think this through.
Because I also need to think about this too.

I hope you know
This chain isn't really mine
It's not real
But at least it looks fine.

Some people think that all they need is a reputation
But I ask, "Is their brain under total domination?"
I say that because I think
Instead of a rep they really need to think.

"I hope I look good and that my hair isn't took dark...
I also hope that I will get extra marks"

All of us are trying to impress someone
I don't know who.
Try to be yourself
But I'm not going to tell you what to do
If I was, then I'd be the biggest hypocrite
Because being you, isn't as easy as I say it is

This isn't a lecture.
I don't want to bore you.
But guess what?
Most of what I said is true
And denying that fact is the worse you can do.

If this isn't true,
Then tell me why are you wearing what you are.
And think about it,
Will clothes really get you that far?

I'm closing with that statement
I'm going to finish now.
If what I said didn't get to your head
I hope it will, someday, somehow.

Pruderick Balmores 7F


No comments:

Post a Comment