Wednesday 11 April 2012

The Art of Blogging

or, Why I Decided to Stay Up Late to Write About My Blog.

The good news is that I've just taken a cocktail of naturopathic medicines that will knock me out in a bit, so this post is timed in its length. If you see a bunch of nonsensical sentences near the end, you'll know why.

So here I am, after many years of having contributed on an almost monthly basis to my precious little project. Indeed, this place is one of the rare undertakings I have kept in my life for any length of time.  Most of my other "projects" - such as scouting, shamanism, origami, duct tape creations etc. - have been left in the dust because I have the attention span of, well, someone who doesn't like to spend time doing things over and over again.

I will admit that some of my blog posts can be quite a bore - especially the long winded rants about why I  sometimes hate life and the universe and other people, but I feel I can only get better the more I write. I hate to admit it, but practice, to an extent, does make perfect... whatever perfect means.

There are many patterns in why or how I write that I find almost fascinating. For example, I tend to blog more often when I'm feeling sad, depressed, melancholic, lonely, discouraged, forlorn - take your pick, they're all lovely words. It seems that if I'm having a really good time, like when I was in Halifax in 2010, I just don't feel the need to spread the joy through my words online.

There are exceptions to these trends. Just because I write often doesn't mean I'm particularly depressed or anything. If I'm feeling very, very angry about something I've witnessed or experienced (e.g. my anti-capitalism, anti-Facebook rant), my blog, instead of Facebook or the phone, is usually my go-to place. But I find I don't get livid easily, so I don't have that many angry posts.
-
I don't really receive much criticism, as comments are few and far in between, but I feel I have a general sense on how to improve the readability of A kaleidoughscope of writings. It's simple, really. Have interesting things to talk about. Of course, what I find fascinating and what my semi-private audience finds fascinating are very, very different. (On a side note, I really wish more of you would comment, or even link to your own internet domains, blogs, whatever! I'm even willing to *shudder* visit your Tumblr as long as there aren't too many ADD-seizure-inducing gifs plastered all over the place).

But I do tend to lack content, a real subject matter to discuss and to explore in any sort of depth. But it's never been my goal to make this blog a politicized, controversial debacle full of people with hardcore opinions, like you find on so many of the popular domains nowadays. I'd describe this place as a mix of the easy-going and often humorous nature of Yahoo Answers with the somewhat more professional content-filled blogs like BoingBoing, with a dash of XKCD-inspired self-referencing wittiness.

I also made the choice not to monetize my blog. I don't think I ever will unless I'm really, really desperate for cash; or if I make a cool partnership with a business that won't alienate my precious audience with ads about bathtubs and useless gadgets.
I was actually offered a "partnership" with a big online retailer a while back who would send me free stuff if I reviewed some of their products on my blog. I admit, I was tempted at first, but I didn't need the stuff anyway, so I thought "Why bother writing about boring things that no one needs anyway when I spend half the time ranting about how consumerism is killing our planet...".
-
So what influences my writing? Well, I guess all the books that I've read help me to write with more confidence, as it's easier to place words in a sentence when you've read hundreds of thousands of them. I have a few favourite authors (read: "favourite" means that I've read at least a few of their various works), such as Kenneth Oppel, C.S Lewis, Bryan Perro, and a few of the fancy philosophers like Descartes, Kierkegaard and Kant; they really know how to make me feel like a smart cookie. But personally, I think I've finally found my sweet spot, the perfect setting that gets me to sit down and write a blog entry:

  • a late-hour (after midnight is usually best)
  • having taken a long, winding walk through the darkened city streets (I find a lot of my blogging ideas just pop up when I'm wandering Toronto pondering life)
  • a smidgeon of alcohol (tonight, it was a bit of tequila and a beer later on)
  • a small desk lamp that illuminates my desk and the piles of fancy books that lie beside it for school
  • smooth jazz playing through my speakers
  • a few puppets and origami to keep me company
What a poet, am I right?

If the above conditions are met, I usually bust out some pretty epic posts.
I also like to write when I'm high on various totally legal (insert hacking cough here) substances, but I find that my writing tends to lack clarity. I sometimes have to erase entire posts because my brain hurts after reading a couple sentences when I wake up the next day...
-
I really do feel like this blog has helped me out immensely. I used to think that blogging was not very therapeutic, because at the end of the day, they're just pixels on a screen. But being able to look back on what my life was back in, say, 2007, is pretty nifty; I'm kind of proud of having pushed myself to write when sometimes I didn't feel like it at all. It's also really awesome that a couple of my friends have started their own blogs, mayhaps because of my influence (I like to think that...).

In my opinion, blogs are much more conducive to "good" social relationships online. Facebook blends everything together and there's just way too much information to really care about any one person for very long because before you know it, a dramatic status update has captured your attention. Personal blogs, like mine and my friend Kate's that I linked just above are a much more interesting look into someone's life and you can really get a sense of what they're passionate about from reading a couple entries. Pictures on Facebook and years of status updates are just too... impersonal for me to really care about much.

Well, it looks like my lovely flower essences are kicking in and ZZZZZZZZZZZ-
Karma Aspiration Langune Entité Iodinement Dérive Oisellerie Ulysse Guimauve Hurlement Salutaire Citronelle Ophilia Perspicace Ettore  

No comments:

Post a Comment