Wednesday 13 May 2009

A Dreamer's Hideaway

Get away, run away, fly away
Lead me astray
To dreamer's hideaway

Too often I find myself longing to lose myself somewhere in Vancouver.

Then I wish for fleeting contact with something or someone in my period of being lost.

From the Burrard SkyTrain station, I walked along the architecturally-perfect fountains, buildings and archways, but they looked fake to me.

I pretend to lose myself on the SkyTrain itself. I've been to every stop on both lines by now, but I always know where I am.

I once tried closing my eyes and plugging my ears to not know what stop I got off at, but I caught a glimpse from the station signs.

Buslines work too, and they're actually better for getting lost, but I don't get the same rush from being on a bus as I do from a SkyTrain.

SkyTrains take you farther, faster, higher. There are more interesting people and things surrounding the stations and the train itself.

I have never been afraid walking alone in Vancouver.

But sometimes I wished I did, to escape the monotone, the bland, the dreary.

And then in fear, maybe I'll find the dreamer's hideaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment