Monday 29 September 2008

Search.

First day of volunteer work today.
If you didn't know, I work at Search Community Mental Health Services.
The first day was really uneventful, they had us read the staff policies manual and I borrowed the "Bipolar disorder Survival Guide" to read. And that's pretty much all I did from 8:30-4:30.

We did drop by the art club that they run for the "clients", there are some wicked painters there.

Tried to communicate with a deaf guy, but since I don't know any sign language, me and Trish (my coworker from Katimavik) had one of the staff who knew sign language translate for us.

Tomorrow I think we're running this car wash dealio, and then in the afternoon I'm going with one of the counselors to visit a client in their house.

Two days ago I cooked up a mean stir-fry, and it was deffo good. But now that orientation week is over, the house managers for this week (Kaylie and Myriam) will be cooking stuff for us while we're all at work. We were supposed to have Spag (that's what we call spaghetti around here - Quebec thing) tonight, but they didn't get the chance to go buy groceries because some people had to drive to London to get this weird skin-tuberculosis test thing. Delegate from Iceland, any idea how that works?

Tonight, after coming back from work, we just sat around the couch room (aka computer + living room) till we decided to go downtown to the Cool Cucumber which we have been going to every night for ice cream. We're addicted.

And then Andrew, Kaylie and I hung out at the local gas station to mingle with the locals. Wednesday, during our free time, Andrew will be going to London with one of them to get his nipple pierced (or tongue, I forget, but it REALLY scares me that everyone in my group is obsessed with piercings), and he'll be stopping at this headshop while in town, and I'll give him money to buy stuff.

Oh, my hemp body butter supply is running rather low - everyone's loving it and using it.

Too much to report on, not enough time.


Karma Aspiration Linger Entity Iodine Darwin Overcast
Ulysses Grievous Hawt Spectre Citron Ophilia Philharmonic Eyeless.

1 comment:

  1. First off, wish I were there to communicate with the deaf. I'm get quite good at it, volunteering my time learning ASL with a deaf woman and all. Secondly, regarding the TB skin test doodiddly, it's basically just taking a needle and putting a bubble of TB between the top layers of your skin and seeing how it reacts to it. 1. Whether your body's immune system can handle it and 2. How extreme

    ReplyDelete