Friday 6 January 2023

Zen Freewrite

Is this a freewrite? It is! What have I got to write about? All I did was open this page, and as soon as I saw the blank rectangle waiting to be filled with words, I decided "fk it, we'll do it live!".

Is blogging exciting, -oh, I was unrudely interrupted by a snack from my housemate! Hard-boiled eggs & olives with the parsnip hummus I made last night- well, it can be, but I prefer to use it as a place to wind down, to vent, and there is some excitement to be found in those activities, but it's not the quiet place that I sometimes want this spot to be.

I am writing right now because I am writing right now. I read zen books sometimes. Sometimes, the zen books have utterly pointless sentences like the first one in this paragraph. It's okay, I can be zen or not zen - it doesn't matter!

I found the title for my blog post. There, I just put it in now, it's a nice change from all the Freewrite the -insert colour- I was doing because I'm certain I've never used this kind of freewrite before whereas I'm somewhat worried that I've re-used the same colour twice for my titles. Yeah, that's something that bugs me a tiny bit: repeated titles.

Freewriting can seem pretty chaotic. Is my mind chaotic right now? I just write whatever comes to mind. It's not the most fun to read because I do very little editing, even less than I usually do, so the quality of the writing can't be all that great but the ideas, the ideas I can generate when I'm just stream-of-consciousness writing might have some value. I'm jumping all over the place, rarely backspacing. Nothing particularly extraordinary pops up.

I've been writing to a friend, and I said I would work on story writing. Here's a short freewritten story that I will write right now:

The lake was still at this hour of the night. A loon, diving in the moonlight, was the only disturbance. I was crouching behind some rocks, not wanting to sit down on the dark, splotchy ground, but also not wanting to stand. How I ended up beside that lake when I'm usually an urbanite is an easy question to answer: it was camping season. Why I didn't want to get noticed, on the other hand, is a bit more complicated. I should have been asleep in my tent, not too far from the spent campfire after an evening of roasting game, and yet I found myself in the middle of the forest, crouching, waiting. Waiting to hear the sound again. A long, slow moan, almost like a whale's, but a whale it could not be as the nearest ocean was hundreds of kilometres away. A sound that reverberated through my whole body, and that somehow -felt- metallic.

Did the whale sound wake me up? Did it drag me out of the tent, or did I do that? Why aren't any of my campmates here, crouching too? Well, as long as their heads are below that sound line, where the whale sound ebbs and flows, I guess they won't hear it either. It's only when I stood up in my tent that I first noticed it, after all.

It frightened me when the magnetic, metallic sound entered my mind, and it frightens me now even though I seem to have found a way to dull it.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment