Thursday 23 January 2020

A new decade

If you had asked me when I was seventeen what I thought my blog would look like 13 years later, I would have answered: "probably kind of the same, maybe some cool new web 3.0 gadgets but altogether, a bitchin' log of my life still".

What I did not know was how important this place would become for my sanity. It's partly my lifeline. My bridge between the offline and the online world. My ethnographical account of teenage into young adult into less-young adult life, and also a place to rant and let go of some of the hardships I've experienced in modern, mostly urban society.

The way I write hasn't changed much. I seldom prepare anything in advance. After all, this blog was originally created after an english assignment in high school prompted me to create an art project with words, and my influences at the time ranged from XKCD to Jack Kerouac's stream-of-consciousness novel, On the Road (which I still haven't read but have lying around). The point is, I will continue to blog liberally.



Although I don't earn an income from this place, that might change someday. I consider myself a photoblogger (amongst other labels), and though it's difficult earning a living wage on the creative end of the spectrum, I think that may change if I keep working at it. I quit my day job once in a while, and I think about my blog on a daily basis, so it would make sense to see if I can take this part-time labour of love further.

The hardest part for me is that the kaleidoughscope is a fairly lonely place now. It was much easier to not worry about the desolation of writing when I was accountable to people I saw in school (and who graciously provided me with commentary through the comments section). I am not a web developer, nor a graphic designer, but rather more of a jack-of-internet-trades, and I realize that it's kind of messy and that my blog space could be more modern to make it easier on the reader. Know that I still value any and all comments and questions, this whether we've met, chatted online, spoken on the phone; or if you're here for the first time, quietly surfing my repository of entries.

I will collaborate more this decade. an artist that does not collaborate paints his or herself into a hole, and although adult life is hard, I'm not in the darkest of spots like I have been before, so I think I can make the conscious effort to find other creative souls to work with now.

And so I start this decade, of course, with some writing, but also some photographs I took, for the most part, this month.

I'm in red, with my friend Olivier. Une marche à Cedarvale!
Purple berries @ Allan Gardens
Positive, positively charging up
Allan Gardens still, middle of winter, grapefruit-sized lemons

Took this one at Queen St East - stay mindful.

Beautiful specimen of my favourite ivy - English ivy

No comments:

Post a Comment