Wednesday 14 November 2018

Tuques and beanies

On my downtime at work I was browsing our merchandise shop when I came across what was clearly a tuque being labelled as a beanie.
I don't know if you know the history of the tuque (and I'm not about to lecture you), but it's pretty much a staple of Canadian culture. When it gets cold, people wear tuques. Now, you can argue about the spelling of the word toque, but in the end, we're all just looking to keep our noggin' warm.
Here is my tuque. I don't know why it's sideways, but it'll have to do.


 So when someone calls a tuque a beanie, well, I boil on the inside. I decided to take a poll amongst my coworkers: I showed them the hat above, and asked them "How would you describe this hat?". All six of them unequivocally said it was a "tuque", with 2 people calling it a "winter hat" before clarifying. I'll take a picture of that poll for due diligence and post it below when I get the chance.



As you can tell, I'm pretty particular about my data. The poll was informal, but the results were real: don't call a tuque a beanie! It is frankly, insulting.

Thank you for listening to my rant. Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment