Friday 23 June 2017

The writer whale

Who am I kidding.

I can't possibly keep linking YouTube videos and hope for the best. I've been a non-professional writer for years, and it aches to look back on the past few days - no, years - and see that I have NOT been writing every month; something I was doing in the late 2000s.

Do I want results? Of course I do. It's very hard to not want results when you've been in university for what seems like an eternity and you're not even halfway through your degree. Because a degree means I'm successful, right?

The good news, Lyra, is that I have the knowledge to skip past la brûme of the extremely competitive globalized society I find myself in and to move ahead to the reality of my world which is this: I don't have to be successful to be happy. I have to be happy to be successful.

Oh, happiness. Another topic. A topic for now. How many books are published every day with happiness as the topic? Religious books, self-help books, scientific books; they're all opinionated and of course most of them have research to back them up. But I ask, is that what humans are meant to do in this world? Research, innovate, research, innovate, kill whales slowly with burning plastic rage, research to save the whales, innovate to save the Earth.

Does it make me happy, buying a new phone? Of course it does, temporarily, because it allows for another gate to be opened into another eternal realm; another app, another universe.

Who came up with dopamine anyway? Was it Sir Serotonin, or Madam Norepinephrine?

-

HEY, GENDER BENDER FREAKS: I like having regular pronouns. I like regular expressions too. Here's my unresearched and unproven theory: some folks like to be referred as they because... because... they have multiple selves? Or maybe it's because their phones are part of them and everyone records everyone, everywhere, and so they become sucked into the Matrix, the Internet, the YouTube fanaticism and slowly turn into the Borg. And the Borgs are a they, aren't they?

Back on an important topic. S shared something just like this on Facebook. And it's basically a 4-minute horror movie (with no jump scares, unless plastic whale stomachs make you jump in disgust) of the horrifying effects we can have as human beings on the ocean and its inhabitants.


2 comments:

  1. kill whales slowly with burning plastic rage. brilliant post Gabby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I took my time to write this one out; I'm glad it shows!

    ReplyDelete