Monday 6 June 2016

Dairy and Strokes

I was riding the subway today and I saw an ad above one of the seats. I don't remember the exact details, but I remember it being about strokes and the risk factors that contribute to having one. I recall feeling annoyed at the fact that the ad was also about promoting the use of this app called the "Get Enough" app. From what I gather, you're supposed to install this app on your smartphone to ensure that you consume enough dairy in your diet, because apparently that's going to prevent strokes.

Now, I love cheese just as much as the next guy, but I think it's a little ridiculous to promote an app to help track your consumption of dairy. Sure, it also seems to track other food types and servings, but since the main sponsor is The Dairy Farmers of Canada (in association with the Heart & Stroke Foundation), I think the message they're trying to get through is that you need to drink your milk to be healthy.



Well, I don't buy it. Literally. I can't remember the last time I had milk. And I'm certainly not about to go buy some low-fat milk, as recommended on their website. Full-fat dairy is the way to go: tastier, and full of fat-soluble vitamins.

Pushing dairy - especially from cows stuck in crammed feedlots - on the average population is, in my opinion, a mistake. It reinforces the wrong message that everyone should consume dairy to avoid strokes, and encourages the continued consumption of foods that are often made from sick cows. And I don't think that's cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment