Wednesday 8 June 2016

Cold weather and warm spirits

I went to bed pretty late last night - around 12:30 am. I thought I was going to sleep poorly because I had just spent the past couple hours glued to my computer screen playing Civilization V. Oops! But it turns out I slept pretty well, and at 7 am I was wide awake and while not feeling completely refreshed, I definitely felt like I had had a good night's sleep.

So I went to the Y. There was a yoga class at 9 am usually taught by Josh, but today he was sick so a replacement teacher took his place. Getting to the Y was stimulating: the temperature dipped to single digits and it stayed pretty cold for the rest of the day. I was biking, so a good windbreaker kept me warm. Feeling the cold air on my face was kind of nice. Given how hot it's been (relatively speaking), a colder day was a welcome change and something one must get used to if they are to live in Toronto.

I came home and in the afternoon I had the inspiration to make a dairy-free cream of broccoli soup. In my opinion, the recipe didn't call for very many spices so when I was cooking the onions I added some turmeric and curry powder. Not too much, but enough to change the colour and be tasted in the final dish.

I then went to pick up a bike I had gotten fixed at a bike repair shop on Christie, and after biking up the big hill, I had barely enough time to get ready to head downtown for an arts group at Stella's Place.

Stella's Place is cool. Maybe I overuse that word, but it's a really great drop-in centre for youth 16-30 who identify with sensitivities. The interior design is new and fun, and it's got lots of places to lounge around and do things like dance. which is one of the things I did there today. Creative movement was the theme, and it was just such a nice atmosphere that my usual self-consciousness about doing wacky movements in public kind of fell away. And, the folks there are really friendly!



I will no doubt be writing more about my experiences at Stella's.

Today was a fun day.


No comments:

Post a Comment