Thursday 18 July 2013

You Know What Grinds My Gears? (YKWGMG)

Oh yes. It's time to rant. But this time, it won't be a single rant... No, no, this time it will be a LIST of rants. Rants about things; small things, big things, random things, things I dislike, thinks that annoy me; even things that don't even seem like I could rant about. This list is related to my earlier list of things that irritate me that I first published in 2009. Here goes.

  • Okay. Screw people who decide it's okay to walk down a busy sidewalk and light up a cigarette. It's bad enough that the smoke smells toxic. It's even worse that you're putting other peoples lives at risk. I see no difference between this and drunk driving except for the fact that one is legal and the other isn't. And even still, most of these smokers are breaking the law - you need two meters between a building entrance and a lit cigarette if you really wanna be picky about it. I don't care if you smoke; but do it away from my lungs.
  • I have a hard time getting along with people who hate on medicine that one would not find in a hospital. Just because you haven't heard of another kind of medicine (read: naturopathic) or seen hundreds of studies about it doesn't mean it doesn't work.
  • Car commercials. Enough said.
  • People who think their music genres are better than everyone else's.
  • Everyone on Plenty of Fish (yes, I have an account).
  • People who still troll people online past the age of 22.
  • Sardines in rancid oil.
  • Big agro/Big pharma/Big telecom (in order of dislike).
  • People who complain to an excess about politicians and don't vote.
  • People who constantly brag about the amount of drugs they've done/the amount of sexual encounters they've had.
  • People who have nothing to say when you ask them: "what's up?".
  • People who say "I hate hipsters" for no reason other than to have something to say.
  • People who say "I am not a hipster".
  • Stores that don't include tax on their price list. This is the majority of stores in Canada and it really irritates me that we have yet to switch to a more European system. Same goes with tips.
  • Immigrants who, for reasons under their control, choose not to learn the native (i.e. official) language of the country they emigrate to.
  • I get annoyed when people call me a "frenchie". If you're from Turkey, would you enjoy being called a turkie? Or if you're from Chile, would you enjoy being called a chili?
  • Hypocrites who refuse to admit they're hypocrites despite overwhelming evidence.
  • Ads and marketing that targets young children to get them to buy junk (food).
  • Consumerism. This one is a big rant in and of itself.
  • The Tumblr blogging platform. This one is a big rant in and of itself.
  • Societal norms that dictate how you should dress. Yes, they are important, but I really don't see why wearing two socks that don't match would ever cause any serious problems in our society.
  • People who are addicted to coffee and yet judge (in a negative way) people who use recreational drugs.
  • People who don't realise that it's easy to ignore trouble when you're living in your bubble. Let 'em spill their guts 'cause one day they're gonna slip on 'em. (Credit goes to Paramore, of course).
  • People who don't listen to my drunk stories
  • When I can't find duct tape. I have bought endless meters of duct tape over the years and I still have trouble finding any lying around. I don't use all of it, so I have no idea where it goes.
  • Science for the sake of "SCIENCE!". Progress for the sake of progress.
  • People who love bacon and have to tell everyone how much they love it. We get it. It's tasty. So are countless other meats.
  • Americans who come to Toronto and don't mimic the politeness they encounter here and take it for granted. (This one's debatable: it's hard to tell sometimes who's a native Torontonian and who's just visiting. Also, not every Canadian/Torontonian is polite.)
  • People who appear to spend most of their waking life on their smartphones, especially on the streets. While not being nearly as damaging (unless they're driving) as the people who smoke cigarettes on the sidewalk, I still get annoyed when people lose track of personal space because they're so focused on their iPhones and they just become oblivious to their surroundings.
  • Raccoons who think they own the place. Right now, they're probably in the grapevine in the backyard knocking down grapes that yours truly will have to pick up later.
  • Atheists who need to tell the world about how there's no god or gods.
  • Religious nuts who need to tell the world... well, you get the picture.
  • People who simply refuse to acknowledge the destruction that GMOs/The Green Revolution has caused in areas other than the First world.
Okay, that's it for now! Gotta get some rest before my first astronomy midterm tomorrow evening! I might add more to this list later.

Kazoo Anticipation Lipsync Enigma Dormant Overture United Graphite Hare Synchronicity Crank Opal Partridge Everlast

No comments:

Post a Comment