Wednesday 9 January 2013

A momentary lapse of music

I've always liked A Momentary Lapse of Reason, an album by Pink Floyd. It sounds like something you'd hear if you were floating in the mesosphere, or maybe even the stratosphere. That is, if somehow there was music playing up there.

I like asking people what their favourite Pink Floyd albums are. I mean, it's rare that people know more than a few, but if they really like Pink Floyd, then it's nice being able to discuss the differences in taste within the Pink Floyd universe with someone else.
You know what I'd like to do some day? Listen to an entire album with someone cool, maybe someone I don't know very well, and seeing if you can bond that. No need for drugs or anything, just some good ol' fashion hangout with someone who happens to like Pink Floyd.
Maybe I feel that urge now, but would I ever remember to ask said person: "Hey! Let's go chill and listen to a Pink Floyd album!". Maybe, maybe not.

I wonder what it would have been like, back in the 70s, when that brand new vinyl was coming out, and everyone would be talking about it. You could ask someone if they'd listened to it, where they'd bought it, and so on. In that way, listening to music was a bit more of an experiential event, I think.
It seems like listening to music nowadays is just a matter of how fast you can download it online or just look it up on Youtube. It's fantastic being able to listen to music so quickly, but I feel like listening to music now is less of a monumental event than it would have been in the past.

---

I want to end this post with a picture. Words are a little dry and probably a little dull to read in the long run, so adding a little multimedia is the fix. Unfortunately, I'm too tired/lazy to find anything cool to take a picture of, so I'll just take a picture of my clever writing utensil container.


No comments:

Post a Comment