Tuesday 14 February 2017

Ignition

Poppin' fresh out the kitchen etc. etc.

I've been listening to the remix to Ignition (is there even an original?) a lot, so my post title is actually relevant! That's good because I read in Blogging for Dummies that having relevant titles is important to drive traffic to your blog. Apparently people get turned off when titles don't match content? Well, I can work with that.

I wrote a letter to someone and dropped it off in the mailbox today. I should do that more often. Absolutely nothing beats getting a fresh letter in the mail. An e-mail is like 1% as satisfying. Real, crisp paper, perhaps fresh ink, maybe some finishing touches like a sticker to bind the envelope - now there's something tangible. An e-mail? Bahhhh, I'll let gmail sort it into some folder or another... I'll read it later...

Speaking of gmail, apparently the FBI is now allowed to ask Google for transcripts of e-mails from residents of other countries, even if the actual data isn't even located in the States. Not a great precedent. I've always been pretty okay with gmail (I made the switch from hotmail ages ago back when you needed an invite), but lately Google has grown into a more Big Brother-esque corporation than I would like so I'm not nearly as loyal to them as I once was. I obviously still use their blogger platform but maybe switching to a new e-mail service provider would be a good idea.

There's this new e-mail provider called protonmail. I've heard good things: servers located in Switzerland, top-notch encryption, open-source... impressive! I definitely would like to switch - eventually. It's a huge hassle switching e-mails. So many services are linked to e-mail that it's impossible to just ditch one and start a new one without making backups somewhere.

I would love to just ignite my gmail inbox (with over 600 unread e-mails added up over the years!) and start anew. It'll have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment