Thursday 13 December 2012

Tranquility

The worst has gone by/
But I may be in the eye of the storm
The winds blow in the distance and I feel alive/
Better not walk into them again

I find I yearn for tranquility. Tranquility, and some semblance of simplicity.
That doesn't mean that I need to avoid busyness and action; that would be a mistake. In fact, I should probably strive for more busyness and more participation in the world around me. Not because society says I need to be busy, but because it's rewarding to get things done.

Still, it would be nice to be around simple people. Maybe some monks or something. I would probably get bored, since I'm so used to having some external stimulation, but there's definitely something to learn and appreciate in simply being.

I've been told I should try my hand at meditation. I would gain so much from having a regular practice. And it would enhance my quality of life, and probably make me more mindful and more aware of the present. And even if it's only for a few minutes per day, I should still try. But my brain says "No no no! At least look busy! You have things to do! You need to move! You need to read! You need to fix this and that!".

Words words words.
I'll see what I can do about this whole meditation dealio. Exercise is a bit easier for me to do, so I'm walking a lot. Just simple walks, walks for the sake of walking. Mostly silent, and usually at a brisk pace; to get the heart going, you know.

School is a bit of a mess right now. I hope I can fix it. I have two new classes starting in January, and I'm gearing up to take them more seriously.

Bloggity bloggy happy holidays.

2 comments:

  1. Now I don't understand what was previously commented. Some sort of shoe fanatic is behind it I'm sure. But you are much like those who focus inwardly and what you are saying would be most beneficial to your existence. Now you are smart enough to see this, but dumb enough to not take action. Now never let the world take you down like it has me. When you go for it, never stop. Stopping is weakness. You are not weak. Don't be like me. Don't gather ephemeral pleasure off of the trivialities of life. Know yourself. Meditate. Center. Live and love life. It is yours. You are a magnificent creature. This world is yours to discover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blah, it was spam. Got rid of it.

    Your words inspire me, Anonymous.
    You are right in that I should not strive to be like anyone but myself.

    I take your advice to heart, and I wish you happiness in whatever world you find yourself in.

    ReplyDelete